Saturday, March 5, 2011

Drama Review #1: The Oedipus Cycle by Sophocles

This is what it's like having babies:

On Thursday after putting them down, I answered a couple of emails.  Minutes later I was downstairs with my wife in the kitchen marveling at how I thought I wouldn't get any replies because it was too late and everyone was probably done with their day and in bed.  The reason I was marveling was because minutes before I had looked at the clock and seen that it was 7:26.

It's 7:23 now on a Saturday.  Once again, the girls are asleep and I'm like "really?  Do something now?"  I'm in sweatpants.  They can be either pajamas or I can wear them out.  I have a good friend doing comedy pretty close, and he's doing it at a comic book store, which is a plus but man, I do not know if I'll be making it.

I just got a little high.  My wife is off acting in this play, and while she'll likely be home around ten, there's a slim chance that she'll go out for drinks afterward.  I, unfortunately, am not drinking this quarter.  It's some arbitrary thing I came up with when I caught myself doing a shot of vodka one Sunday afternoon.  Shot of vodka and a beer.  I don't even like vodka really, but we were out of bourbon.  That's when I thought: "chill."

So here I am.  High.  Blogging.  40.  All "fuck going out," and the shit's only 7:30.

I have been hired recently to write a screenplay.  My quote for writing ranges from the mid three figures to the mid five figures.  This one's mid three, for a first draft of the first act.  I don't mind though because I'm writing something different.  Also something I'll finish because I'm doing it for someone else.  A docudrama.  Straight character stuff.  People living their lives, power dynamics, that shit.  Without going into too much detail, I decided to read the Oedipus Cycle so I could start thinking about drama and tragedy.  Turns out that Sophocles is a good writer -- either that or he's got a great translator.  I know the twist in Oedipus Rex obviously, but the build up to it is really well done.  Very dramatic, but not in an annoying way.

BOTTOM LINE:  The Oedipus Cycle by Sophocles is quite good and not annoying.

3 comments:

  1. Antagone is great as well. Oedipus at Colonus is few folks' favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been wanting to re-read The Bacchae since True Blood season II. I wonder if it could be done scary and not silly. Probably not.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Water Hack Burns 2 lb of Fat OVERNIGHT

    Well over 160000 women and men are utilizing a easy and secret "liquids hack" to lose 1-2lbs each and every night while they sleep.

    It is very easy and works every time.

    This is how you can do it yourself:

    1) Go grab a clear glass and fill it half glass

    2) Proceed to use this strange hack

    and be 1-2lbs lighter in the morning!

    ReplyDelete